Thursday, April 12, 2012

Is it writer's block?

I post on this particular blog so seldom that is it unlikely anyone has wondered why -- other than me! I remember saying once that I had writer's block when I was in college, but even then I think I realized that it was just an excuse. And I still think that "writer's block" is an excuse for someone who is simply avoiding writing for whatever reason. If you say you want to write, but you're not writing, do you know why?

I have a pretty good idea why I don't post on this blog very often, and it has nothing to do with writer's block. It has everything to do with worrying that no one wants to read whatever is on my mind that day. I've started nearly a dozen different blogs in my life, and I've managed to keep up with one religiously since 2006 -- my Antiquity Oaks blog, which chronicles my farm life. When I succeeded at that one and "failed" at so many others, I came to the conclusion that it had to do with passion. I was passionate about my life on the farm, and I couldn't wait to share it with my blog readers. And I do believe that passion plays a big part.

A writer's blog seemed like a great idea, but I'd always resisted it because I wasn't sure that anyone would want to read what I might write about writing or the writing life -- even though I was passionate about the subject. But after I got my first book published, I convinced myself that a writer's blog made sense. Now I'm not so sure. There have certainly been plenty of times that I've thought about posting on here, but I'd talk myself out of it. I'd tell myself something like No one wants to read that or People might think you're just full of yourself if you write that.

The simple truth is that most writers have a horrible fear that whatever they write is just terrible. And the more personal it is, the more you worry that a rejection of that writing is a personal rejection. A few months ago, Jenna Woginrich, author of Barnheart and Chick Days, blogged about how nervous she was talking about her personal homesteading journey at the Mother Earth News Fair last September. She said that she had no problem talking about chickens or sheep, but talking about herself was really tough. That's how I feel when it comes to writing about my writing life.

So, I'm going to try to get over that. I'm always saying that life is a journey, and we need to step out of comfort zone if we're ever going to get anywhere, so here goes!

4 comments:

  1. Oh goodness - I am so glad I'm not alone! I come up with tons of ideas and don't write but a few because I fear everything is trite, done before or otherwise nonsense! Good for you to try to get back...or maybe just into, the saddle. So am I :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blog today :-)
    I got your book "Ecothrifty" from the library and I was curious to know who this homeschooling person who wrote it was. I've dreamed of writing a book for ages. I've dreamed of homesteading for ages. You're living my dream life (except in my dream there are eight kids already... maybe there's a reason I'm not writing, lol!)
    I'm also thrifty... which is why I didn't purchase your book, I'm sorry to say. It's a good book though. I like your blog too. You're honest and transparent and you connect with your reader that way... I think that's an important feature of writing successfully. I'm adding you to my list of blogs I follow, so keep on writing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure eight children keep you very busy, so I'm especially honored that you took the time to read Ecothrifty!

      Delete
    2. Well, there may not be much time for writing these days, but there's ALWAYS time for reading, of course! And you've inspired me to put up a laundry line and hang 3 loads today. I've missed the smell of fresh laundry :-)

      Delete