Monday, August 15, 2011

Finding time for writing

One of the questions I'm often asked is how I find time to write. Between running a farm and cooking from scratch and the rest of daily life, I am a busy person. However, finding time to write is not a challenge. A bit of advice that every writer has heard is to write what you know -- and more importantly -- to write what you are passionate about. The reason usually given for writing about your passion is because your passion will show through in your writing. If you aren't passionate about the topic, then how is the reader supposed to get excited about it?

I have another spin on writing about your passion though. If you are passionate about your writing -- whether it is fiction or non-fiction -- you won't need to find time. If it is fiction, those characters will haunt you night and day, and you will be turning on the computer at crazy hours to write their story. If it is non-fiction, you will constantly be thinking about the topic, asking yourself questions, sneaking away to the computer to do additional research, and writing notes to yourself when you are away from your computer.

As I wrote in my last post, a writer writes. It doesn't matter if you're famous or whether anyone has ever paid you a dollar for your writing. You write because being a writer is part of you, just like your eye color and whether you are right-handed. My problem is not really finding time to write. My problem is remembering to eat when I'm writing. My problem is not being able to fall back asleep in the middle of the night when I wake up and start thinking about my latest article or book. We all find time for what we love. As much as I love eating and sleeping, I suppose I love writing even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment